Pages

Tuesday 2 April 2019

Distillation Experiment

Aim:
To separate a solute from a solvent in Coke
Hypothesis:
I think the solvent will change the colour or it will be colourless and the solvent could make a crystal because you heated up.
I think the solute would be sugar and caffeine.
I think the solute will change color like the colour of the solvent. In other words, the color of the solvent will be in the solute and the colour of the solvent will be colour-less or it will change.

Equipment:
A solution of coke, conical flask, heatproof mat, a delivery tube, and bung, Bunsen burner, tripod, gauze mat, retort stand, boss head, and clamp, boiling tube

Method:
1. Set up the equipment as shown in the diagram.
2. Add approximately 50 mL of saltwater to your conical flask
3. Light your Bunsen burner. Open the air hole and gently push the Bunsen burner under the tripod
4. Heat the solution until most of the solvent has been evaporated. Turn off your Bunsen burner.

Results/Observation:
When the solvent started to boil up the water started to evaporate into a test tube. In the end, we can saw the burnt sugar and the other ingredients of the coke. In the we can see the thick burnt of the normal coke and the normal coke has more sugar than the other coke like Diet Coke and the Coke Zero.
Conclusion:
My hypothesis is not matched on what happened because I thought that it would change or will be colourless the solvent.
Discussion.
The coke evaporated due to the heat of the Bunsen burner. It wich the water evaporates from the coke the ran through the delivery tube
Evaluation:
the experiment was successful and it was right we did the experiment correctly. The distillation was right because I can see the water distillate. Maybe we could improve more by focusing more on the experiment.





1 comment:

  1. Hi Jhermaine, great blog post. You have written it clearly and explained well what happened. Your hypothesis was correct in some ways as the solvent that formed in the test tube was colourless. Well done :)

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.