Pages

Tuesday 13 August 2019

Maori Art || Ta Moko || Social Studies

I Social Studies, we have been learning about Maori Art or Ta Moko. Our teacher made us draw our own tattoo design and we have to give meaning. While we are talking about Maori Art I have learnt that there's the different meaning of each tattoo just like when you put a tattoo on the centre of your forehead means "Ngakaipikirau"(rank) it signifies man's rank. While when you put a tattoo on your chin means "Wairua"(mana) it identifies the mana. Mana refers to the demonstration of authority over a piece of land or group of people.

Where I find the information: Ta Moko

We don't really have a clear meaning of what is the meaning behind the tattoo.



1 comment:

  1. Great job Jhermaine. I really like how descriptive your explanation of Maori art and tattoo designs is. It is great to see that you have also included te reo words in too. You mention that the ta moko represent a persons rank and mana, can you tell me more about who can get these and when they might get one?

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.