Pages

Thursday 3 September 2020

Algebra

Substitution

Substitution into an equation replacing a variable with a number when it is known, and then evaluating that equation (calculating the value of the result). It is always important to remember the following.

- Always use the correct order of operation - BEDMAS
- One or more variables or the number next to each other (such as 3a or pqr) means to multiply them
- A fraction represents division (top ➗ bottom)
- Don't forget to replace a variable with its value every time it appears in a formula.

Example: If a= 2 b=4 c=5
5c = [5x5 = 25]
6a-2 = [6x2 - 2 = 10]

Using Formulae

We often use formulae to represent practical situations. For example, the formulae for the area of a triangle is:

A=½bh     

Where: b= base
            h = height



No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.