Pages

Wednesday 20 February 2019

Sundial

For this past few weeks, we have been talking about Sundial in Math.
Sundial is a device that tells time the time of the day when it is sunlight by the apparent position of the sun. To also tell the time there's a flat plate and gnomon, which cast a shadow onto the dial. 

3 Facts about Sundial
1. I found out that there is the world's largest Sundial located in Jaipur, India that has been telling time for 300 years. The sundial in Jaipur is an astronomical site that builds in the early 18th century. Several Instrument had been built in 1728 and the world's largest sundial is of it.


sundial in jaipur


2. I did not know that there several types of a sundial and here are some of the sundials.
  • The first is the altitude dial. Altitude dial helps people determine the sun's altitude.
  • The other type of sundial is the azimuth sundial. Azimuth sundial helps people determine time by the sun's angle on the arc.
Image result for several types of sundial

3. I have learned that the sundial would never work if there's no sun and the shadow you can barely see it. Thus people from Egypt tried to figure out so they can still know the time. They use water and when the night comes and it's a full moon they use the moondial. 

This is the Sundial that we made 



What is Gnomon?
The gnomon is the pointer on a sundial that cast shadow. Gnomon is a word comes from ancient Greek and means indicator.

  • When sundials first made the gnomon should be stood vertically, thus people could observe the altitude of the sun. The gnomon should be stood in the middle of the base and the gnomon and the 12 it should be even.


Different kind of instrument that tells time in Ancient time.



*
There is a different design of sundial you can make and you can make a different kind base of the sundial. You can make a square, circle, half of the circle.

How to make sundial?
To make sundial you need a board, sticks, a pencil, ruler, and glue.

Step 1: Choose what base you want. Draw the shape you want
Step 2: Cut it out and sandpaper it.
Step 3: Measure the length of the base and find out the middle of the base.
Step 4: On the middle part of the base you have to drill a hole.
Step 5: Cut the stick in the right length.
Step 6: Glue the stick on the hole.
Step 7: After you glue the stick you write the number and put a line to understand more. A sundial at a particular latitude in one hemisphere must be reversed for use at the opposite latitude in the other hemisphere. 
Step 8: After you make you can design the sundial.







6 comments:

  1. Hi Jhermaine, this blog is AWESOME!I like how you've expanded a lot of information about the Sundial. I also like how you added the pictures in to make it more interesting. I didn't know that 'Gnomon' come from the word indicator. Where did you get this all information? Maybe next time you can you could show us a video of you using your sundial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Faith, Sorry for late reply. Thank you for your comment I appreciate it. Where did you get all this information? I get all of the information on wikipedia and I search about sundials. Thank you for your suggestion and I will try to put a video next time.

      Thanks again
      Jhermaiane

      Delete
  2. Hi, I'm Ian from HHS, I like how you did to your work about sundial, it makes me feel amazing because I read one of your facts about sundial that can work in night time when it's full moon. I have one question for you, do sundial work at any places?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good day Ian, I appreciate your comment. Studying about time devices in early time like sundial is interesting. Do sundial work at any places? Yes it does, Sundials work at any places as long there's a sunlight.

      Thank you
      Jhermaine

      Delete
  3. hi Jhermaine well done on your blog looks good and has heaps of space taken up so you can barely see white you will see words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning Liam, thank you for your comment I appreciate it. I hope you enjoyed my blogpost.

      Thank you again
      Jhermaine

      Delete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.